Monday, February 26, 2007

Back in the Saddle

This weekend I finally sat my butt down and started to write. The result of two and a half hours is a lean, mean story that clocks in just under 3,100 words. On my way home from work Friday night, I came up with a character for a new private eye story. I combined it with part of an idea I had rattling around in my brain for a while.

So I actually wrote my first story starring an eye. I thought I’d go and check out Thrilling Detective to see how much time I had to revise it before the next deadline. It seems I just missed one on February 14th. Doh! Then I see that recommended length is about 7,000 to 8,000 words. Double doh!

This is all probably for the best anyway. I like the story, but there are a few small problems with it. Some may consider it too linear. It just goes from A-B-C. The other thing is it doesn’t have a hook.


The two things I need: a title and a hook.

2 comments:

Gerald So said...

Go ahead and submit your story, WellesFan. I read submissions year-round. Our deadlines only determine which stories are considered for which issues.

As for length, I'm a fan of verbal economy. Go for it.

You will have to give your real name when you submit, but it will stay between us.


Gerald So
Fiction Editor
The Thrilling Detective Web Site

WellesFan said...

Thanks, Gerald. I'll probably spend some time this weekend on a second draft (something new for me as discussed on my "On Editing" post). Try to flesh out the story a bit more. Make things not as easy for my protag.

I'll have to use some discipline not to move directly onto story #2.