Friday, February 23, 2007

On Editing

The one thing that many writers have trouble with is editing. Editing takes almost as much time and talent as writing. Most everything I’ve ever done has been first or second drafts. Part of it is because I don’t want to spend time on something I’ve already “finished”. Another part is I can’t throw things away. I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I’ve actually deleted whole sections of text (or a whole document) and started over from scratch. That’s probably the one problem with any level English class you take while growing up. They try to teach you grammar and punctuation and how to write. But nobody ever teaches you how to edit. While I don’t strictly adhere to them, I love Elmore’s Rules of Writing. Quite often one or more of them pop into my head while I’m writing something. But I don’t have a good set of rules for editing. Anyone have any they’d like to share?

No comments: