Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Stuck in the Middle With You

I was planning to post something today about some of the good TV shows I've been watching, but that's going to be moved to Friday (or next week). Today I want to talk about recurring characters. Some authors like Elmore Leonard rarely feel the need to revisit characters. Other authors (Chandler, Tom Clancy, Vince Flynn) have series characters. Most, if not all, of their books have the same protagonist and same supporting characters in the same universe.

Since I wrote my untitled PI story over the weekend, I've been thinking if this is going to be a one-shot or if there is life to the character to have another story about him. I did come up with a loose outline for a second story when something funny happened. A scene where the eye meets a character from the first story in a grocery store popped in my head. I had no intentions of bringing this character back, but there they were.

No comments: