Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Lady from Shanghai

I'm not entirely sure how, but today I stumbled across an entry on Bright Lights Film Journal about the forgotten noir Blast of Silence. There were a couple other entries on movies like the Mike Hammer flick Kiss Me Deadly and a very unflattering review of L.A. Confidential. But, the one that really struck me was the one about The Lady From Shanghai. Author Jason Mark Scott gives a very thorough examination of one of Welles's early pictures. Scott again shines light on the many subtle things that made Welles one of, if not the, best director of all time. The only thing I would disagree with him on is his supposition that this was Welles's farewell to his wife Rita Hayworth and to Hollywood.

If you haven't watched The Lady From Shanghai, I recommend that you go out and find a copy right away. Sit back, relax, and enjoy some good noir and a good flick. Just try to tune out Welles's horrendous Irish accent. :)

No comments: