Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Day Late

I had no idea until I visited Gerald's blog today that Patti Abbott was having a blog event for Valentine's Day. Ever the latecomer, I wrote the following story while at work today. Let me know what you guys think.

***************************
A Day Late
by, WellesFan

I sat in the coffee shop trying to read her note. Halfway through I had to stop. I’d never gotten a Dear John letter before. I said, “How could she do this to me?”

“I don’t know, man,” said Evan. “I remember when you two started going out. You were just like Lucy and Desi. Always talking about getting married one day and having a bunch of kids running around.”

“Why didn’t she believe me? Taking their words over mine? I’ve never been anything other than 100% truthful with her.”

“There’s nothing you could’ve done. She’s just a whore like every other woman. What you need now is a nice meaningless fling. Find yourself a girl who’s nothing to you other than a blouse full of goodies.”

“Maybe,” I said. “Maybe if I just accept half the consequences for what happened, she’ll accept my apology.”

“You don’t need her,” said Evan. “That relationship went south quickly. All this time you’ve been sleeping with the enemy. I’ve seen that look on your face. Instead of kissing her lips you want to staple them shut.”

“I’m going to call her.”

“Put the phone down.” He slapped the cell phone out of my hand. “Forget her. You and I are going to hit the town tonight.”

“I think I should call her. We can patch things up before it’s too late. I never realized how much I loved her until now.”

“You may love her,” said Evan, “but do you know how much she loves you? All those times you’re going over to her place. Hanging out even when she’s talking to her friends down the hall. She’s always talking about herself and her day. Does she ever ask about your day? Has she ever come over to your place?”

“At her place we can be alone. If she comes over to my place we have to…”

“Stop making excuses! She’s leading you around by your balls. She may have loved you at first, but now you’re just a nuisance to her.”

“Shut up,” I said. “You don’t know what you’re talking about. If you won’t let me call her, I’m going over to her place right now.”

“You won’t,” said Evan.

“I am.”

“You can’t.”

“Try and stop me.” I started to stand up.

“She’s dead, Chris.”

I felt the air rush out of the room. I felt like my heart had been ripped out of my chest. I felt a million different things.

“Wh-what? How? How do you know?”

Evan said, “Because I killed her.”

“You what?” I said. “You bastard. How could you kill the woman I love?”

“Keep your voice down. I killed her for you. I killed her for us. You and I have been through so much. We’ve known each other for so long. We’re almost brothers, man. Being with her changed you. And not for the better.”

“Maybe it’s not too late,” I said. “When did you kill her? Maybe she’s not dead. Maybe she just passed out or something.”

“No, she’s really most sincerely dead,” said Evan, with an evil grin on his face. “Since you had that last minute meeting last night, I went over to her place you tell her. See, that’s how good a friend I am. When I got there, she told me she was dumping you. She had already sent you that note, so I couldn’t talk her out of it. I had to protect you somehow. So I hit her. Again and again I hit her. Then, I wrapped my hands around her scrawny little neck and squeezed. You should have seen the look in her eyes at the end. It was like a candle had been snuffed out. And then she looked so peaceful.”

“You sick ---. I’m going to tell the cops.” I stood again.

“If I go down, you’re going with me.”

“Go to hell!”

“Sir, is everything all right?” A waitress had come over at the sound of our yelling.

I looked back at the table and Evan was gone. “Did you see where that man went?”

“What man?” she asked.

“That guy,” I said. “The guy I’ve been talking to for the last ten minutes.”

“Sir, there’s no one there. You came in alone. Is everything OK?”

“Oh, my God. I just killed my girlfriend.”

5 comments:

Gerald So said...

Valentine's Day in The Twilight Zone. Nice.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I didn't see that coming. Nicely done.

Cormac Brown said...

Like a well made drink, nice twist.

WellesFan said...

Glad you guys liked it. And I'm happy the twist worked out. I actually came up with the ending first and tried to run it backward to create a story that fit within the theme.

Patricia J. Hale said...

Way to pull off the twist. Absolutely didn't know it was coming. Kind of fun as well as creepy...great story.