Thursday, February 7, 2008

In a Lonely Place (1950)

I mentioned this Nicholas Ray film a couple months ago while plugging the site Noir of the Week. I recently had the opportunity to see it, and I was not disappointed. Tight story, good direction, and an outstanding performance by Humphrey Bogart. Bogart stars as screenwriter Dixon Steele, a talented screenwriter whose last few pictures haven't done very well. At the beginning of the film, he's hired to adapt a bestselling novel into a screenplay. Rather than read the book, he has a hat-check girl tell him the story. The next day, the girl is found dead, and Steele is the main suspect. Steele's neighbor Laurel Grey, played by Gloria Grahame, provides him an alibi. A relationship blooms between the two of them, but the cloud of suspicion over Steele's possible involvement with the murder threatens to ruin it.

I bring the film up again because a stumbled upon a great post by Kim Morgan at Sunset Gun about it. It too me a while to track down a DVD copy (most of my local Blockbusters did not carry it), but it was worth the effort.

Highly Recommended.

No comments: