Friday, February 22, 2008

Lady in the Water

I finally saw M. Night Shyamalan's 2006 film Lady in the Water. I immensely enjoyed The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Signs was OK and I was able to predict two of the three twists in The Village well before they happened. Overall, I've enjoyed Shyamalan's work and am eagerly anticipating his next film due in June. Lady, from what I remember, got mostly negative reviews. Fan reaction was clearly down on it as well. The best advice I got before watching it was from a friend who said to treat it like a bedtime story or fairy tale.

I'm not sure if it was the story or the direction, but the movie seemed a bit plodding and lifeless. There wasn't much dramatic tension until the party scene at the very end. There was a lot more that could've been done, but overall I neither hated nor loved it.

Extra Note: Even though you only hear a few bars of a song, I was able to pick out that the band performing at the party is Philly area's own Silvertide. Check them out.

No comments: