Sunday, April 13, 2008

Fight Club (1999)

In January, I finally got around to seeing Fight Club. I know, I know...it's a wonder how I made it this long considering how many people absolutely adore it. Luckily, I hadn't heard many spoilers before seeing it. It was well directed by David Fincher (Se7en - which will be reviewed in the future) and features knockout performances by Edward Norton and Brad Pitt.

Since it's almost a ten year old movie, I don't really have to dance around spoilers much. Early on, the movie gave off a certain vibe. That there were going to be big twists coming. For some reason, I kept going back and forth that possibly Marla Singer (Helena Bonham Carter) was just a figment of the narrator's imagination. At a certain point, I decided that she was real. But at pretty much the same moment, I knew Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) was not real. The one twist I didn't see coming was the last ten seconds of the movie. It makes sense in terms of the previous two plus hours, but I didn't think the filmmakers would actually "go there".

I'm not really sure what to say about Fight Club. I'm not in love with it like many people are. It was good, yes. I'd like to see it again. But there are lots of movies out there that I'd like to see for the first time before watching it again.

No comments: