Monday, May 19, 2008

Movies, Movies, Movies

I stumbled across this post on Thirteen Rule-Breaking Movies the other day. The author states that this is not intended to be a definitive list, but mainly a starting point. As with a lot of these lists, there are a lot of good movies I've seen, and a lot of movies I want to see. The first movie mentioned, Time Code, was one that I remember wanting to see when it first came out, but never tracked it down. And I'm glad to see Kubrick's masterpiece Paths of Glory make the list.

One movie I'd never heard of is 2002's Russian Ark. The sheer planning of creating a single 90-minute take must have been huge. I always like when filmmakers try something audacious. Another example along this line is one of my favorite Hitchcock movies Rope, which was shot in ten takes (ranging from 4 minutes to 10 minutes in length).

I'm going to try to track down copies of Time Code and Russian Ark.

No comments: