Monday, July 7, 2008

John Adams (2008)

I missed HBO's John Adams miniseries when it was first on, but I made sure to catch it during the mini-marathon on the Fourth of July. I'm glad I did. It's very well done, with great special effects, a great script, and no doubt hours and hours of painstaking research. Paul Giamatti shines in his portrayal of Adams, and Laura Linney proved a perfect foil for him as Abagail Adams.

The first two episodes, which I watched in real time, dealt with Adams's defense of the British soldiers involved in the Boston Massacre, his joining the revolution, and ended with the reading of the Declaration of Independence. I recorded the rest and watched three through five on Saturday, dealing with Adams's ambassadorship to France and Holland, his vice presidency, and ended with his taking the oath of office succeeding George Washington as President. I hope to watch at least one more tonight if not finish the entire series.

On another note, I love the makeup job on David Morse. He looks exactly the way we think Washington really looked.

Do yourself a favor and check the series out if HBO runs it again.

1 comment:

WellesFan said...

The Emmy nominations came out yesterday. John Adams leads everybody with 23 noms. Best Actor, Actress, Miniseries, Writer, Director, and 3 of the 5 Best Supporting Actor nods.