Monday, August 11, 2008

The X-Files: I Want to Believe (2008)

Got a chance to see the movie this past weekend. It was.....OK. I was/am a huge fan of the series and was eagerly anticipating the second movie. Chris Carter, creator/writer/director, of The X-Files said all along that this movie would be more like the standalone episodes than the mythology episodes. He was right on that point.

Mulder and Scully no longer work for the FBI. In the six years since the season finale, Scully started to practice medicine at a Catholic hospital and Mulder lives as a near recluse on a farm. An FBI agent goes missing and during the search a disgraced priest leads the FBI to a severed arm buried in the snow. The priest claims he was led by a psycic vision - just the kind of stuff that Mulder and Scully investigated for 8 years on the series.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. The cinematography was great and it was good to see the old gang back together. My big quibble is that Chris Carter was right: it was just like a standalone episode. Some of those episodes were great ("Jose Chung's From Outer Space", "Clyde Bruckman's Last Repose", "Triangle", etc), but a lot of them weren't. The characters that were developed to any stretch of the word were Mulder and Scully. And that could only be because we know all their history from the tv show.

I'm glad I saw it on the big screen and I definitley will be there if they ever make a third movie. But at that point it will probably be only die-hards like me who go see it.

No comments: