Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Clean Slate

I’ve got the self-loathing part down pat. I haven’t been working on my novel as much as I should and continually beat myself up over it. For some reason, I’m just not feeling it. I think the story is good, but I’m not satisfied with the execution. A couple short story ideas popped into my head recently, so I was going to spend this past weekend working on a couple that I would target to the usual markets for these types of things.

Then….my hard drive crashed Friday night. Luckily, I frequently copy my writing to a thumb drive (so I can work at home and at the office) so I didn’t lose much of anything. So Saturday was spent getting a new hard drive and setting the computer up again. The good thing is that I’m taking this as an opportunity for a clean slate. A lot of the accumulated junk, I’m not going to get back. With a streamlined PC (little music, no movies, few bookmarked websites), I hope to spend more time on the important things….such as writing.

So, here’s a weekend inspired haiku to send us off:

Oh no! Hard drive crashed.
Diligent in your backups?
Rise like a phoenix.

2 comments:

Paul Brazill said...

keep on keeping on, as The Redskins once sung.

Cormac Brown said...

Yikes, hopefully you will arise from the ashes.

"For some reason, I’m just not feeling it."

Have you tried to outline via notecards on a bulletin board? Sometimes this makes it easier to at least emphasize the parts of the plot that do work and that you like.