Monday, June 22, 2009

Killshot (200?)


I got a chance to see the long delayed (and troubled) movie adaptation of Elmore Leonard's novel Killshot.

Armand "Blackbird" Degas (Mickey Rourke) is a hitman for the Toronto Mafia. He hooks up with a young, hothead crook named Richie Nix (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) for a shakedown of a real estate agent. The job doesn't go according to plan, and the two leave behind witnesses in Carmen and Wayne Colson (Diane Lane and Thomas Jane). The Colsons are forced into Witness Protection while Blackbird and Nix hunt them down.

Rourke and Lane give solid performances. There are some areas that are a little choppy, probably because of all the edits (including removing the entire character played by Johnny Knoxville).

It doesn't quite capture the flare of Get Shorty or Out of Sight, but it's better than some of the Elmore adaptions out there. The movie's not great, but it's not bad. It certainly deserved a better fate than it got.

3 comments:

Paul Brazill said...

Yeah, I fancy seeing it. It's a top book.

Cormac Brown said...

Wow, sounds like a mess and this thing has been in the can for some time. I'm trying to figure out if Knoxville's character is the one that Rourke's character does in fairly early in the book.

WellesFan said...

I wanted to see it for a long time because I'm a big fan of Dutch (though this is one of the books I haven't read yet).

I think Knoxville was supposed to be a deputy in Cape Girardeau who starts to fixate on Jane & Lane. From what I see, a lot of the Cape Girardeau storyline was axed.