Friday, May 14, 2010

Breaking Radio Silence

From the preface to The First Forty-nine:

In going where you have to go, and doing what you have to do, and seeing what you have to see, you dull and blunt the instrument you write with.  But I would rather have it bent and dull and know I had to put it on the grindstone again and hammer it into shape and put a whetstone to it, and know that I had something to write about, than to have it bright and shining and nothing to say, or smooth and well-oiled in the closet, but unused.

-Ernest Hemingway

I've not been attending bullfights nor have I been serving as an ambulance driver.  Rather I've spent time with family, and reacquainted myself with seldom seen friends, and explored the riches offered by our great cities.  I don't know if any of it will be sufficient fodder for future stories, but are at the very least the stuff that makes our short time in this world more enjoyable.  Time to rest and then re-sharpen my writing instrument.

I remain, as always, your obedient servant.

1 comment:

David Barber said...

Spending time with friends and family is a must for everyone. I look forward to reading some of your work soon. Take care mate.